Thursday, August 17, 2017

Music and Trying to Interpret Toddler Language

June loves music, which makes my heart really happy.  I have many memories of listening to music in the car with our family growing up, of learning the songs, and eventually singing them.  Hearing those songs as an adult takes me back.  Most of the music June hears is when we are in the car and is a mix of music I like and an I Heart Radio kids station I put on when I’m desperate. 

She also gets to listen to music at Nana’s house, and sometimes gets to watch the music videos, too.  One day, a few weeks ago, June was jumping on our bed and said, “I listen to Uptown Funk at Nana’s!”  Turns out they watch the video and listen to the song.  Since then, she has started watching more videos and has started talking about what she wants to listen to. 

At first, she asked for Uptown Funk in the car every time we got in.  Man, do little kids love repetition!  She has started asking for more songs, which is great…but when she hears them at my mom’s house and then doesn’t know the actual title it can take some collaboration and detective work to figure out what the heck she is asking for. 

Here are some examples:

Actual Title                                    What June Calls it
Uptown Funk - Bruno Mars            Uptown Funk You Up
24K (karat) - Bruno Mars               Carrots in the Air
Photograph - Ed Sheeran               Baby Song
Sugar - Maroon 5                           Woman Song

The only one that was clear to me without help was Uptown Funk.  After we listened to that the other day June said “I want carrots in the air.  Carrots in the air, mommy.  CARROTS!”  I'm wracking my brain trying to think of a song I've sung or we've heard that has carrots in it.  I sent a video of what she was saying to my mom, who wrote back, “she’s talking about 24K Magic in the Air.”  Ahh. Karats!  Ok, got it.  

The “Baby Song” is because the video for Ed Sheeran’s song Photograph features pictures of Sheeran growing up.  Good thing I’ve seen that video otherwise I wouldn’t have had a clue.  On that same vein, the other night she was sitting in her high chair and she said, “Oh. My. Gosh.  SO ADORABLE. SO ADORABLE.”   I was like, what?  Two year olds don’t just say things like that on their own.  Again, I asked my mom and that’s something my mom has said when they are watching the Photograph video.  Damn, the kid doesn’t miss a beat.

June’s request this morning really threw me for a loop.  I was driving and she said, “sing the woman song, mommy!”  I told her I don’t know the “woman song” and could she sing it?  She said she couldn’t. She repeatedly asked (let’s be real, demanded) that I sing the woman song.  I had no effing clue what she was talking about.  Fast-forward to daycare drop-off when I mentioned it to my mom.  Turns out she was talking about “Sugar” by Maroon 5 because there are women in the video.  Mmm-kay. 

I love watching her learn to sing new songs and am amused by her take on songs and what she remembers and articulates. I look forward to introducing her to more of our favorite music.  

No comments:

Post a Comment