Friday, March 25, 2016

Something for Me becomes Something for Us

As a mom it can be tough to make time for "me time." The only scheduled me time I have currently is a monthly deep-tissue massage, which is heavenly.  I have been going for massages since June was about 4 months old and I relish that hour.

It has definitely been tough to find a balance between being a mom and taking care of myself.  Justin has encouraged me to find something I want to do that will get me out of the house.  I used to go to the gym several times a week before work, but that's no longer an option unless I want to go at 4:30 AM which, let's face it, I'm not gonna do.  Sleep is much more important right now!

In my quest to find an activity or hobby I started to think about high school and how much I enjoyed dancing in show choir.  I began to research area dance studios, hoping to find some sort of casual dance class for adults.  At first the only things I found were formal tap, jazz or ballet classes.  Not exactly what I was looking for.  I decided to search Kirkwood Community College's online catalog to see what I could find.  It turns out a dance studio in North Liberty, in conjunction with Kirkwood, offers 8 week Hip Hop dance classes that meet once a week.  Classes are at 8:15 PM, which is perfect because June is in bed by 7 PM.

Not feeling quite confident enough to sign up on my own I sent the info to my sister Abbey to see if she would be interested in signing up with me.  She was!  And then suggested that our Mom might want to take the class, too.  This will be an experience for several Gilpin women.  Classes start next week and I will be joined by Mom, sisters Abbey and Katie, and sister-in-law Sarah.  I'm excited and nervous and know we will have a lot of fun.  I'm not sure what to expect, exactly.  Will it be more aerobics based?  Will we learn dance routines to specific songs?  Will I be able to make it through an hour-long class after more than a year of no exercise other than lugging my daughter around? We will find out, and I will let you all know how it goes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment